Friday, April 8, 2011

Totemic Experience



A recent lesson that has incorporated technology tools in an engaging fashion is this:

Students in my 6th grade Digital Media class have very little experience with Photoshop, so this lesson introduces them to the power of layers, while working on thinking about their digital lives. I divide the class into table groups, each student with a laptop. We have group discussions about what comprises our lives, both real and digital. We then share out to the class and brainstorm a class list. I then ask them to consider what are their "power" aspects, from Facebook to fencing, etc. Their job as a table group is to build four linked illustrations in Photoshop to create a single totem.

Here are four examples:
Notice the juxtaposition of digital and real. For these students, reality very much includes technology, social media, etc. Are we prepared for their lives?

4 comments:

Mrs. Reif said...

This is a great group project for students. I love the idea of asking them to consider what elements impact their lives and then having them create a visual representation of those items.

Christine Lewis Art said...

This project is very much alligned with the unit I will be teaching involving PhotoShop. I'm really impressed by the students' juxtaposition of both digital and "real" art. They obviously grasped the concept of layers and collaborated well. Great project!

DaHuis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jmw511 said...

I think that this project is so interesting! I really like that the teaching point is about layers on Photoshop, but in creating their part, they are always illustrating layers of themselves. I also like that they are asked to think about how technology impacts their lives. I also like that they then connect their individual parts to one long totem pole for the finished product.